When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 5 January 2012

College Essay # 13


13. If you could be a “fly on the wall” to observe any situation – historical, personal, or otherwise – describe what you would choose to observe and why. What would you hope to learn and how would it benefit you? (University of Pittsburgh/94)

I recently watched a movie called Grave Encounters. When I saw the trailer, I was peeing my pants. When I watched the movie, I was holding my sister by the arm and covering my eyes half way with the blanket, so that I could watch the movie and cover my eyes when I was scared. I don’t know how much of this movie is real and how much of it is tampered with; all I know is that it was scary as hell. For those of you guys, who I showed the trailer to and was not scared, watch the movie and then come talk to me.

There used to be a show called “Grave Encounters” where a group of ghost hunters would go to these allegedly haunted places and try to summon ghosts. The movie clearly shows us that these people have been making up a lot of things they witness at these locations to get in reviews and make money. But this one was different. A group of people enter an asylum, which is supposed to contain extremely paranormal activity. A psychologist used to visit the hospital often and conduct lobotomies on patients who were a bit “off their game.” One day, six angry patients entered the psychologist’s office and stabbed him to death. The movie doesn’t really tell you what happened to the patients, but I’m sure that it didn’t end very well. The team meets up with the guy who looks after the asylum. It’s no longer an asylum, mind you. He shows them the areas where the paranormal activities take place. The team then sets up the cameras and get ready to spend the night at the asylum. The leader of the team decides that it would be even better for reviews if the tenant locks them in the building. All the others protest, but he is adamant. In a series of events, four of the team members die and the leader is left with bleeding eyes. I won’t reveal much more; because this is a movie you have to watch.

So, if I were a fly on a wall, I wouldn’t want to witness anything historical, or personal, or any of that, instead I would want to witness the whole thing that happens whilst these people are locked inside the asylum. I want to figure out whether they really did disappear, or whether the tapes were tampered with. I want to know what happened after these people were killed. You might be a bit disturbed with all the things but this movie really fascinated me and I want to know what else goes on in that asylum. But the biggest reason I want to be “the fly on the wall” during this “Grave Encounters” episode is because I want to know whether the tenant actually found the team after he came back in the morning to open the doors or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment