When English Teachers Snap

Saturday 28 January 2012

College Essay # 95 - Notre Dame


95. Select a technological innovation of this century and discuss its effects on your family, local community or nation. (Notre Dame)

I see the sleek rectangle lying on my table. I can feel the coldness the metal radiates. I can see the applications springing in my face telling me, “Use it. Use it. Use it.” I can see the silver cover sparkling at my direction telling me, “I was totally worth it.” Then she receives a call. She’s in use for hours at a time talking about the latest gossip, the latest trends, and whose friends with whom. This happens everyday and at least a couple of times daily. Yes, my friends, this is the Iphone.

Recently, my sister acquired the Iphone. She was ecstatic. She went and bought the cover, she got the phone unlocked, and then she started downloading different Apps … everyday. She had around ten-downloaded daily. With my sister’s newfound possession, I was the only one in my family who didn’t have the Iphone. My parents bought one for themselves last year and my sister got one just recently. I watch them use it. I feel jealous at times. I do have the I-touch but there’s no gadget that can be as great as the Iphone, well at least not in my mind anyways. Though I feel jealous, I feel freer than the rest of my family. They seem to be completely bogged down with this new innovation. But who can blame them? There are so many new things that keep coming up that you can’t resist yourself. You need to keep updating the software in order to get the new apps. Without the new apps you feel behind than the rest of the world. Without being part of the rest of the world, you don’t feel part of the world. Though this logic may be stupid and nonsensical, I think that people are more engrossed in technology because they don’t want to feel left out.

So, if I have to name one technological innovation that has affected my family, I would definitely say that it would be the Iphone. I only say this because there have been many times when we’ve held a conversation as a family; one person is always on their Iphone. I know that it’s a great technology to keep up with the things happening in the world, but it doesn’t mean that you have to be on it ALL the time … I literally mean 24/7. I am one that doesn’t appreciate it when people are distracted when holding a conversation with me. I don’t want people to fidget when they are talking to me. There are times when you should just let go of the innovations, and just talk, in an old fashioned manner

No comments:

Post a Comment