When English Teachers Snap

Tuesday 24 January 2012

College Essay # 183


183. Do you think that you have the qualifications of a good parent? Discuss.

A couple of months ago, I saw one of my old elementary school friend’s pictures on Facebook. Her stomach was huge. First I though that she had just gotten really fat, but when I looked closer, I could see that she was a pregnant woman awaiting her child’s birth. Yes, many of you must be shocked. She is a 16-year-old girl and she is pregnant. No, her boyfriend who impregnated her hasn’t left her, and yes she HAS a job and she IS attending school. Many of you may look at her with disgust, and many of you may judge her, but who are we really to judge her? In fact, I’m very proud to say that I have a friend who is that strong and who is able to get through life with her head held high. I’m sure like many young teenage mothers, she never planned on becoming pregnant and having a child, but there is nothing she can do about it now. She is pregnant, and she does have a child to take care of.

I recently discovered that she has delivered her baby, and she’s very happy and content. Whilst talking to her, I asked her how the new mother thing was working out for her. She explained that she was tired all the time and her baby daughter was always keeping her awake with her screaming and crying, but all in all, she explained that she was extremely happy. I asked her about school and about work, and she told me that everything was good. She said even with everything going on, her grades were good and she wasn’t failing anything, and her work was work, she was doing the job and was getting paid; there was nothing more to that. I looked at her and thought to myself. She definitely DOES have the qualifications of a good parent. Though her circumstance has brought her to this point, she has everything a child needs from his or her parent. She is organized, she is practical, she knows she needs to take care of her family, she is able to support her daughter and make sure she is able to finish school and get an even better job. She knows that her daughter means the world to her and she needs to protect her. She values everything is has and doesn’t neglect her daughter for a second. While she was talking to me, her daughter was screaming and the minute she uttered a noise, my friend would run to her and calm her down. Though, it took some time, she would wait until her daughter was calm and got what she wanted. This happed around 10 times in a 15-minute conversation. Hats off to her, she definitely has what it takes. 

Whereas for me, I don’t think that I have the qualifications of being a good parent. I only think about the goals in my life. I haven’t had to think about anyone else’s ever. I am not patient with kids, and I don’t like it when they scream and yell. I get myself into drama from time to time. I’m unable to really handle my emotions at all times. I need to be grounded and need to get back to reality. I dream too much. I worry about only my grades and the things happening in my life. Sometimes I forget to take a step back and think about my loved ones. I’m too engrossed in my own life. Though I’m the more responsible one among my friends, I often forget where I’ve kept things. I get stressed very quickly and that makes me jumpy, agitated, and angry with those who cross my path. I am not ready to have a child, and if I was, I would definitely not be able to handle myself, let alone a child. 

Parents are those who think about their kids first. Parents are those that try to teach their kids good values and good etiquette and are grounded. Parents are those that don’t show their stresses to their kids and try to handle things without letting the kid know that there is a problem. Parents are those that love their children unconditionally and hold nothing against them. Parents are those that take care of their children but are able to take care of themselves as well. Parents are those that know their responsibilities and try their level best to fulfill them. Parents are those who are practical and think about reality rather than dreaming. Most of all, parents are those that think about others and are less concerned about their lives.

I seem to be the complete opposite of those things. I would be unable to raise a child at this age, I don’t know how my friend is doing it, but she is doing it. I am not set to be a good parent as of right now … and I don’t think I will be for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment