When English Teachers Snap

Monday 23 January 2012

College Essay # 86 - Bates College


86. How would you describe yourself as a human being? What quality do you like best in yourself and what do you like least? What quality would you most like to see flourish and which would you like to see wither?" (Bates College)

Scientifically, a human being is an organism of the highest intelligence in the world that we know today. Human beings evolved from cave men and are known also as Homo sapiens. Human beings are mammals and can either be herbivores or omnivores; although, there are some who are just carnivores and eat no such thing as vegetables. Human beings have created buildings, roads, money, law, taxes and so on. But human beings are also filled with compassion, anger, hatred, jealousy, friendliness, vengeance, and love. So, if I were to describe myself as a human being, I would describe myself as just that … human.

I feel compassion towards others, I feel jealous when my sister gets better grades than me, I love my family and friends, I get annoyed at my grandmother when she asks too many questions, I have new ideas and new perspectives, I am determined, I dream a lot, and think about what’s in front of me, and so on. We all have traits and characteristics that we identify with more than another, but at the end of the day, we’re all in one way or another the same thing … and in this case, we’re all human. But with all these characteristics, I think that the quality I like in myself the best is my willingness to see the best in others. I can trust people easily, but when someone crosses my bad side, it is difficult to trust them again. But nevertheless, there hasn’t been many occasions where my trust has been broken, therefore I can safely say that I like that I see the better side in others before anything else. This allows me to befriend strangers and get to know them better and have a long lasting friendship. The quality, however, that pesters me at times is that when I get mad at someone for something they do, then I seem to hold a grudge for a very long time. It takes a lot of time for people to convince me that they will not do certain things gain. The quality that I would like to see flourish in myself is the trait of determination. I know I’m determined, but I know that if I try a bit harder then I will go farther than where I’ve already reached. But the characteristic that I think I want withered away forever at the least is the characteristic of anger. I am quite short tempered, and I want to be able to keep my cool with others around me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment