When English Teachers Snap

Sunday 29 January 2012

College Essay # 96



96. Look through old family photos and pull out a few that remind you of important times or significant moments. (Remember that the impact of a moment is what makes it significant. A hike through the woods can sometimes be more significant than a birthday.) Choose one of these "Kodak Moments" to describe and explain its significance to you. Speak about the photograph and your feelings about what you see in it.


When I was a kid, my mother told me, that I was very interested in using the phone. She told me that whenever the phone would ring, I would be the first one to rush to pick up the phone. Though I couldn’t utter words more than a “ga ga” or something of that sort, I was always keen. The people on the other end would laugh knowing that it was me. My mother would rush after me and yell at me, laughing, telling me not to do that next time. I looked at her in amazement and repeated the same thing over and over again. I just wouldn’t listen. I had a thing for talking to people and letting them know that it was me they were talking to. Slowly, after I started talking in words instead of gibberish, my mother taught me how to say hello and how to talk to people. She would teach me, I would repeat after her, but then I’d forget. After a couple of times of being unable to say anything on the phone, she started sitting next to me and guiding me on the phone. Though it was a petty thing to feel happy for, I would love having my mom sit next to me and tell me what to say. For that time being, I would feel like her. I would feel like my mother; sophisticated, cultured, and purely just amazing. It was the best feeling you could possibly ever have, because she was my mother, the greatest.

This picture symbolizes many things. It symbolizes the innocence of a child, it symbolizes the idea of exploring things on your own, but the thing that stands out to me the most in this picture, is my love for my mother. I would always look forward to someone calling only because I loved having my mom sit next to me and play some sort of puppet show. But I loved that my mother was there to guide me, even in something as minimal as talking on the phone. But I’ve always looked forward to my mother’s advice. Of course, there have been some mother-daughter conflicts, but this picture always reminds me of how much I looked forward to my mother’s advice, and how much I appreciated her. This picture reminds me of how great my mother is and how much she means to me. This picture shows me that I should never take her for granted and that I should always value her … just in case I wasn’t able to see that myself. Even though this picture is of a little Spreeha, it tells me and now even you, the relationship my mother and I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment