When English Teachers Snap

Wednesday 16 November 2011

College # 82 - College of Notre Dame of Maryland

82. Select two people who have been role models in your life and describe why. (College of Notre Dame of Maryland)

My parents count as one of these role models. As I sit here and I write this, I wonder which one of my parents have had a greater impact on my life, but I cannot decide. The uniqueness that both carry are so tremendous that it overwhelms me. Both have taught me to be independent and taught be to me a good person at heart. Though it's hard for me to follow such statements at times, I look at the two of them together, and some how, everything seems to fit in place. During my psychology class today, my teacher explained that as children come out of their "childhood" and enter their adolescent years, friends and peers start becoming more important than friends. In my case, it is the complete opposite. When I was younger I would always want to be around my friends, but as I've grown older, I've realized how important my parents are to me, and how much it affects me if something happens to them. My parents have always, from the very beginning of time, been there as pillars of support for me. But now, they are slowly letting go and allowing me to make my own decisions. And honestly, that scares me to death. I don't want them to let go of that control. Sure at times, I may feel them getting on my nerves, but I feel like I'm still too young to say what is right from wrong. My mom has always said "be independent enough to kick your husband out of your house whenever you want" while my dad stares and my mom after she states this and says "be who you want to be and make yourself proud." My mom, being the feminist she is, always reminds me that I can be anyone I want to be as long as I am independent. Without such independence, I will be no one, and no one acknowledge my presence. While my dad explains that there are two types of people in the world "those who lack the ability to strive for perfection, and those that do." Together, this perfect couple, are one of my two most important role models. Their love and affection for the things they do, their charasma, and their individual talents, make me want to be the two of them combined.

My other role model is one of my closest friends. We don't always meet eye to eye, but I love her to death. Having a rough childhood and trying to fit in two different worlds without being extremes in both, she shows me the amount of strength an individual encompasses. She is loud, boisterous, and has a happy-go-lucky personality, but understands that the only way to make tough times fly, is by looking for the next best thing. Her optimism, the love and care she gives, the way she tries to be the best person she can be, makes me want to be her at times. There are times that I watch her work her ways, and it amazes me every time. It never fails to leave me wondering "How can this girl be so happy when the rest of the world around her isn't?" Watching her, that is exactly what I strive for. She makes me believe that I can fly, she makes me believe that I can be a better person than those that talk about me behind my back when I want to go and strangle them, and she makes me believe in a true friendship.

These two examples showcase just the type of person I want to be. Though I am none of those things, I try in my everyday, to gain those characteristics, and be a hell of a person. I'm sorry if I can't meet all your expectations.

Number of words: 635

No comments:

Post a Comment