When English Teachers Snap

Friday 4 November 2011

College Essay # 127 - Barnard

Describe a daily routine or tradition of yours that may seem ordinary to others but holds special meaning for you. Why is this practice significant to you? (Barnard)

Walking sleepy eyed into the bathroom and standing in front of the mirror with my frizzy hair all over place scares me sometimes but gives me a new kind of hope for the upcoming moments ready to be experienced. I take my bright orange Colgate toothbrush steady in my hand and use the other to put on the roaring red Maxfresh toothpaste. The brightness of the toothpaste scares me wide awake. I put it in my mouth and instantaneously I reach the moment of excitement just as my mouth starts to salivate with freshness. I brush fifty times on one side and then fifty on the other. I pause…take the cold water in my hand, and rinse my mouth. The coolness of it all makes me feel overwhelmed by the little things I miss daily with the ridiculous, insignificant problems of my life. I brush the front teeth until the gleaming whiteness shines others to look the other way. It makes me happy and makes me feel one step ahead in my day. I take that newness felt by that water and inundate my face with the idea of a new beginning to my day. I reach over and wipe my face with the fluffy, softness which makes me mellow and calm. It allows me to reach the trance of meditation and makes me feel whole, new, and clean once again for the beginning of the journey everyone one calls a day. Walking back to my room, I think of all the challenges I might face in the seconds ahead of me, I think of all the goals that I have set for myself and think of how hard I really am to push myself forward to reach them. The idea of washing up in the morning may seem really mundane to many, but it brings a sense of a new beginning and a sense of appreciation that one has yet another day to prove yourself to be the person you are set out to be.

Number of words: 336

No comments:

Post a Comment