When English Teachers Snap

Tuesday 29 November 2011

College Essay # 123 - University of Chicago

123. How do you feel about Wednesday? (University of Chicago)

The loud bell ringing in the microphone at 7 in the morning wakes me up a little annoyed. I sit up in my bed slowly rubbing my eyes to a dark, gloomy Wednesday morning. I get out of my bed, stub my toe on my desk, take my towel and head to the shower. I walk into the bathroom and notice that all the bathrooms are taken. Damn. I have to wait another 15 minutes before I can head to the shower myself. I stand there looking at my face and see how exhausted I still am from the Monday basketball tryouts. Finally, someone comes out and I sprint into the shower. I turn on the shower and expecting hot water, I scream. The water coming out of the shower head is freezing cold. It's practically as though I'm showering in ice. I take a shower as fast as I can and get out to feel the cold air outside my room. I get ready in a hurry as it is almost 7:50. I run down to the dining hall, only to see that breakfast has closed and all that remains is greasy, green trays filled with oil and the orange counter tops. Disappointedly, I walk up to school slowly. I reach only to be 15 minutes late to assembly. I don't know how my clock was off. I didn't even realize why people were walking so fast up the hill. I guess I'm just some lost soul in my own world. The day goes by in a blur and the 3:45 bell rings and I feel the butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

Final day to show the coaches what I've got. Final day of basketball tryouts. I walk in the locker room to hear the buzz of the excited girls ready to begin. No one feels the soreness experience from the last tryout, except me. I change and walk into the huge court. I put a smile on my face and look at the coaches. Apparently, effort counts a whole lot. Sometimes it seems like more than the skills you have. I guess it was my negative attitude, but I ended up stumbling over the cones, travelled while doing my lap ups, and managed doing ups-and-downs on a free throw. Could my day get any worse. Just when I thought I was getting the "hang" of things, our coach blows the whistle and it's time to hit the locker rooms. I walk in slowly to realize that everyone has left. I walk down alone in the cold, dark winter evening. This Wednesday has been the worst of my life, and I'm not even going to make the time.

I wake up screaming to the 7 o'clock morning bell ringing in the microphone and to a bright and sunny winter morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment