When English Teachers Snap

Friday 25 November 2011

College Essay # 139 - University of Chicago

139. Spanish poet Antonio Machado wrote, "Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it." Give us your guess. (University of Chicago)

Living. This seems like a really bold prediction to me. I feel many of us are too preoccupied about everything in our life that we forget the main reason we are alive: to live. We're all either too preoccupied with the grades we get, what we need to finish on our to-do list, what clothes we're going to wear, what care we're going to drive, what job we're going to get, how much money we're going to earn, and the list goes on and on and on. It just never seems to end. Ask yourselves: when was the one day I actually LIVED my life? Was it when I was high on cocaine, was it when I was working till midnight grading papers, was it partying from 10 in the morning to 9 at night and then getting caught because I came back drunk, or was it calling women objects for cleaning, cooking, and for sex to bring your male ego higher than it already is? I am no one to say what living is. Everyone has their own way of living; some may be "responsible" in the way they live, and others might be "reckless." But it doesn't matter, everyone lives.

Dreaming. Isn't this all the things we're afraid of doing, or all the things we are insecure about? Do we actually gain anything from this? Some may say fear and others may say inspiration. I don't agree. They are just imaginations. Nothing real. Maybe you're sitting here shocked at my statement. But talk to me when dreams have been completely ripped apart and examined piece by piece. Don't tell me that it already has. Interpretdreams.com doesn't count because even psychologists haven't figured it out completely.

Between living and dreaming comes experiencing. We forget this word. We forget this idea. We forget this memory. We are either too worried about the outcome of things in our life and we're too worried about what our dreams mean and how it is going to affect us, that we forget to experience the pure joy of the combination of living and dreaming. Dreaming may set a goal, and living may be an accomplishment, but when do you have time to experience anything when you're too preoccupied about your achievements or too paranoid about your dreams?

Living and dreaming is ever present, "guess the third thing." For me experiencing is between living and dreaming. Everyone one has their own in-between. Guess yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment