When English Teachers Snap

Sunday 20 November 2011

College Essay # 50 - Univesity of California

50. Tell us about yourself. - University of California

Spontaneous when interested
Patient
Reasonable
Enthusiastic
Excited
Honest about who I am
Argumentive at times

2 weekends ago, I went to a college fair in Delhi. Your chaperones asked us to go around and state one thing we learned at the end of the second college fair. Someone stood up and said "Don't be humble when writing your college essay." Our school's college counsellor nodded in agreement. Although the statement above are just comprised in a short list, these are the most important characteristics I have as a person, I feel.

I just want to note a significant experience which happened this weekend. This characteristic shapes me into the person I feel I am today. I  think it's worth noting down.

I consider myself to be a very forgiving person. I try and try with those that pinch at my every nerve. I know that if I say something back, I'm just stooping down to their level. There are a few people who have fallen out of my list to be friends with. I tried during the beginning of the semester and start fresh with everyone. I was close to them, or so I thought. It was just some kind of superficial friendship I had. I have tried being friends with these people time and time again, but it just didn't happen. And I just gave up. One of my other friends, kept telling me that they were bad company, and this and that. I defended them, and I told him that they were good people and you had to get past their "strong face" in order to be friends with them. But in the end, he was right. They turned out to be the opposite of those I defended. They would just backstab me, and I learned not to care. Hats off to them, I learned something from you guys. I tried being patient, and for a while it worked, until I snapped on Friday night. One of these girls had asked my roommate for pasta, which she kindly handed over. After pouring it in the saucer, she talked to her friend next to her and said, "I'm going to give this back to Sandy*, she is in someone's room and she can go and put it in her own room." I tried to control, but it got the best of me, I turned around and said, "You can go put it in my room," and very rudely I might add. I try and be patient, and give everyone a chance but this just ends up going against me. I don't know why.

NOTE: * name changed

No comments:

Post a Comment