When English Teachers Snap

Friday 25 November 2011

College Essay # 165 - University of Virginia

165. What confuses you most in life, and why? (University of Virginia)

Popularity. What does that mean? Does that mean gossiping and spreading rumors about people, does it mean excluding other people, does it mean being a bully, or does it mean being liked by everyone? But all these things, do they even matter in the end? Does it even matter when you reach your final destination? Do you want to look back at your life and say "I was popular when I was in high school." Does that define you as a person? If you were still that person who gossips, who excludes others, who bullies others, and who is mean towards others, then it does matter whether you were "popular in high school." It shows that you haven't changed a single bit and you're still the same old person. You haven't grown up.

I see many of my friends trying to reach to the top of that "social ladder" you call popularity in high school. I see girls putting tons of foundation to make themselves look whiter and whiter each day. I see girls wearing low necked shirts trying to reveal their cleavage thinking that it would seduce someone. I see people in my grade bullying those who are "lower" than them. I see people trying to out do one another. I understand the idea of evolution and I understand the idea of the "survival of the fittest." What I don't understand is: people trying to hurt their friends and fellow classmates to be the "best", people trying to manipulate others into being their friend, drifters who drift from a group of people who are popular one week to the group of people who are popular the next week. This idea of popularity, doesn't mean a thing to me. I don't care for it.

High school is a time of finding yourself so that you won't get lost in the big, bad world. High school is a time to shape yourself and be the person you want to be for the rest of your life. High school is a time to learn new habits and get rid of old ones. It is a time for change

Though I don't follow most of the things I say, and am probably a hypocrite, I want to be all these things. Though I don't care for popularity, I care for being the right kind of person. One who helps, cares, and means the best for themselves and others. I challenge all of you to try and do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment