When English Teachers Snap

Monday 28 November 2011

College Essay # 14 - University of Pittsburgh

14. If you could be a "fly on the wall" to observe any situation - historical, personal, or otherwise - describe what you would choose to observe and why. What would you hope to learn and how would it benefit you? (University of Pittsburgh/94)


Dr. Spreeha Thapa (PhD). That sounds a bit scary to me from time to time. I know tha I want to become a doctor. That is what I had wanted since the time I was a child. The idea of helping people, the idea of bettering their lives, and the idea of cutting people open (not in a sedistic way) and seeing how the human body works always fasinated me. But some times I wonder whether I actually want to spent a really really long time of my life studying to be something I truly want to be. When I was small, people would ask me what I wanted to be and the only reply I would give was "I want to be a doctory slash swimmer slash tennis player slash a person who makes a lot of money." Many of you are probably laughing at my innocence. But sometimes I want to be that innocent and not have a clue about how difficult all of this would be. I want to just believe that I can do anything with the click of my fingers. But obviously I have grown up and I know the hardships that come with such a profession. So, if I was a "fly on the wall" I would want to be in a operating theater observing a neurosurgeon at work.

Although this may seem like a mundane thing to many, it is something that may just shape my life into something different than I expect. I want to watch what it is like being at work. I want to know whether I would be fascinated watching someone at work the way I want to be. This experience will truly decide whether I want to spend this long in the field or not. I probably do. I know that now. But I want to be a 100% sure of this. I don't want to have any regrets the minute I get into a medical school and decide that I wnat to do something else. This experience will be gratifying. I will also be able to witness my true determination to be the best I can be. A neurosurgeon. I know, a long way to go. I wonder if it is worth it. Some times I think yes and others times not so much. Being a "fly on the wall" will allow me to believe that I can do anything with the click of my fingers, or hope so anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment