When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 17 November 2011

College Essay # 154 - Nothwestern

154. Anatole France said, "If 50 million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." On what subject do you disagree with most people, and why? (Northwestern)


Somewhere during the year of 2008, I heard that a new book The Secret came out. The name sounded appealing and quite cool. One of my favorite books growing up with The Secret Garden, so I thought it would be quite interesting to read it. I called my mom up at home and asked her if she heard anything interesting about the book. She was surprised that I had even heard of that book and had an hour long conversation with me about what the book was about and how great it was, before she had even read it. Naive as I am, I believe every word my mom said, preaching it to my friends the next day in school.

When I go home, my mom had actually read the book. If she made it her holy book then, she was going to be crucified on a cross for that book. She talked to me about the principle of "asking the universe for the things you want" and how you would eventually receive it. So does it really make sense that if you ask for money from the universe, if you really want it, it will come to you. And apparently, if you don't get it, then you don't seem to want it bad enough. Writing this now, it seems like a load of bull, but then, I was amazed that such a thing could be possible.

In 6th grade, I was associated with a website called Teens Read Too (www.teensreadtoo.com) through my LA teacher back in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. So I decided that it would be a good book to read and review about. So I sat down, on one winter afternoon, to read this really cool book. Well, the cover looked cool anyways. As they say, never judge a book by its cover. Anyways, after finishing that book, I felt like I had wasted a lifetime. I approached my mom after she got back from work, and asked her how she could believe in such a thing. She said, "My darling, it's faith." I looked at her, with a confused look, and turned the other way and walked back to my logical lifestyle.

I believe that people created faith, not only of religion, but of any sort, to blame something when they don't have anything else to blame. Mostly, because they don't want to blame themselves. The Secret reminded me of how I loved the way I thought at times, whether it sounded cocky or not. I believed in science and logic only. Sure, I had faith, but if I had to choose to make a decision, I would almost always choose logic. When I found out the movie had come out, I called my mom again, and she said that she had already watched it. I was awe-stricken. Being blinded by something else to believe in, my mom didn't even consider the idea that the author could have just written nonsense to make money. Though I am critiquing the book, I am critiquing die hard fans of The Secret for not having a mind of their own and doubting things when things need to be doubted.

I honestly don't believe in things that just come to you if you ask for it. Why haven't I gotten a 4.3 GPA currently. I've asked for it. Don't give me that "bullshit" about me not wanting it bad enough. Only I know how much I want that. No one, not even fate, can decide that for me.

As my English teacher said a couple of days ago "Sometimes you need to question those who you ARE afraid of questioning." Is that the pursuit of happiness?

Number of words: 615

No comments:

Post a Comment