When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 1 December 2011

College Essay # 172

172. Discuss how some negative experience (disability, illness, failure) has had a positive influence on your life.


The summer of 2008 was one of my most frightening experiences of my life. I was sitting in my car going home from the dentist's office. I sneezed and I felt something pop. It hurt, but I didn't know what it was so I let it go. Over the course of the next two weeks, I was unable to sit in one position for more than 3 or 4 minutes. I had to keep moving. I felt like something was sitting on the left side of me. I finally told my parents after I realized that something was wrong. I was taken to a surgeon and he said that I had hernia. Okay, get it out of your system. It mostly happens to men and horses. Okay, okay. Ha ha. It's so funny. Anyways, my parents were shocked. This was a recurring problem. I had a surgery done on both sides of my pelvis area when I was 5, how could it have come back again?

Whatever the case it did. So 1 week before coming back to school I had my surgery and all of that. But the most painful experience was when I came back home. My relatives had come to visit me at home bearing gifts. But I was most happy to see my sister. I know she's a pain in the ass at times, but she keeps me occupied and I have a lot of fun with her when the two of us get past our ego. So, that night I had a light meal for dinner and was laying on my bed. My sister comes in and tells me a really random joke. It was random but really funny. And her facial expressions made it even more so. As nature calls, I started laughing. My stitches obviously had not healed yet and the pressure of laughing made it hurt so much more. I couldn't move an inch before and now I wasn't able to move the slightest. I started crying. My parents came in and yelled at my sister. It really wasn't her fault, she was just trying to make me forget about the pain. But in the end, all her good deeds were overlooked.

I gave her a guilty look and said I was sorry. She took one good glance at me paralyzed on the bed and my parents' angry faces and stormed off downstairs to watch TV. After she left, my parents looked at me and told me that there was no reason to cry for such a silly thing. I was adamant and started arguing with them. But I knew I was wrong and I didn't want to admit it and instead let my sister get scolded.

That was the day I realized how much my sister cared about me. We have our fights, a lot of them actually, but we get along. Sometimes both of us overlook the fact we're sisters and say mean likes like "I hope you die" or "Go to hell" or "Bitch". But at the end of the day we love each other. After that day though for me, I left my ego at the door when I was with my sister. She just tried to help me and there was no reason for me to get her into trouble. It wasn't fair on my part. I should have been the one yelled at.

No comments:

Post a Comment