When English Teachers Snap

Friday 23 December 2011

College Essay # 211

211. A special place.

The smell of old books and the sounds of laminated plastic on new books ... do I have to say more? My special place is a place where silence is a norm. A place where no food, book bags, and loud voices are allowed. It is filled with tons of books from classics to contemporary novels. It should be situated in the heart of schools, but it's not. It should be filled with more people that those that visit daily. It has tables and chairs, has magazines and dictionaries, and it has a office where a tall woman with brown boots that make the most noise works. Yes, it is the library.

To start off with, the library is my favorite place because it is quiet. I'm a person, who doesn't like being around people much. Though many think that this doesn't make me a people person, this is far from the truth. I love talking to people and engaging in any sort of conservation. But when given the opportunity to choose between a party hub and a quite enclosed library, I would definitely choose the second option. Because the library is meant to have pin drop silence, a lot of students at my school don't like staying in there for very long. They finish off their business that has dragged them to such a place and then try to get out of there as fast as possible. As for me, I would do the complete opposite. The serene peacefulness of the library just makes me want to stay in there forever. This sort of place allows me to think, and allows me to discover new things.

The amount of knowledge stored in the library is the biggest reason I call the library my special place. From car magazines, to beauty tips of "Seventeen", to Pride and Prejudice, to dictionaries, to encyclopedias, to The Princess Diaries, the library is filled with things we can take away. The car magazines will tell us which ones are worth the money with diagrams and detailed descriptions and the beauty tips of "Seventeen" give us a step by step method which shows you how to curl your hair. The themes of Pride and Prejudice shows us how important love and family are while dictionaries give us some sort of clear understand of what love and family are; dictionaries define what things are. Encyclopedias allow us to expand our general knowledge, while the Princess Diaries series allow us to be children and fantasize the idea of royalty once again.

In a area of space which isn't the biggest known to the world, the library is a place which allows you to be who you are and allows to you expand your knowledge me to a better and brighter individual than when you entered it in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment