When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 15 December 2011

College Essay # 242

242. Describe a recurring dream.

The things you need to make sure that you wake up at night, sweating, and afraid.

1. A beach with white sand and clear blue water.
2. Me, myself, and I. (You're on a beach by yourself, with no one around for miles)
3. A surf board stuck right in the middle of the beach.
4. Your temptation to use that surf board and travel far away.
5. Your imagination.
5. A sky that is anticipating heavy clouds and rain.
6. Strong waves of ice cold water.
7. Your desire to swim deep in the ocean and cut through a school of fish.
8. Your surf board drifting away from you.
9. Your arms flailing trying to get the surfboard.
10. Failing and being eaten alive by a shark.

Many of you may sit here reading these things and must be wondering what a stupid dream this might be. I thought it was stupid at first too, but it happened over and over and over again. I think I had this dream 3 or 4 times in a month. That seems little? Well not if the dream is repeating itself like a broken record.

I'm traveling far away to a beach which is hundreds of miles away from my home; and I'm traveling alone. I reach the beach thinking there are going to be a lot of people so that I could go surfing without having to worry about someone saving me if I was drowning. First off, I don't know how to surf, secondly, I don't like the deep blue seas. They seem to taunt me and all I want to do is prove to myself that I'm stronger and braver, than someone scared of the ocean. But I arrive at the beach to see it deserted with only me. I try to turn back but determination gets the best of me. I didn't know how I was going to go into the ocean, but all I knew was I wanted to go there. I look around to find some sort of equipment that will take me far away and deep into the ocean. All of a sudden, I spot a surfboard. I'm ecstatic. All I want to do is get into the water, but when I look over I see the strong waves pushing itself on the beach and I feel like breeze of the ice cold water. I look up to the sky to gain a bit of hope, but I'm disappointed. All I see are dark, heavy clouds rolling in. I know what that means: rain, rain, baby. But, my determination gets the best of me. I run to the surf board, take it into the ocean, and surf along the waves and travel as far as the waves take me. But my little knowledge of surfing, takes advantage of me. The surf board slips off my feet and drifts away. I try swimming to catch up with it, but the waves are creating a distance between us. I try and try, but I'm getting farther away from it. I look behind me and I can't even see the shore. Oh no. I'm stranded. Instead of seeing a school of fish, I see a shark encircling me. My heart starts beating faster and faster. I don't know what to do. It's getting closer. I see the jaws coming at me, and it's dark.

This is just a side note:
According to a website which interprets dreams, seeing a shark:
Indicates feelings of anger, hostility, and fierceness. You are undergoing a long and difficult emotional period and may be an emotional threat to yourself or to others. Perhaps, you are struggling with your independence, especially in some aspect of your relationship. Alternatively, a shark represents a person in your life who is greedy and unscrupulous. This person goes after what he or she wants with no regards to the well-being and sensitivity of others. The shark may also be an aspect of your own personality with these qualities.

http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreamdictionarysearch.pl?method=exact&header=dreamsymbol&search=sharks

I don't know how much of this is true, I doubt any of it, but it sounds a least bit interesting. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment