When English Teachers Snap

Wednesday 21 December 2011

College Essay # 232

232. Ten things you do when you procrastinate.

1. Clean up my room. Sometimes I sit on my bed ready to work and then I look around me and see the mess that I'm surrounded by. I look around and see that my roommate's side of the room is equally, if not worse off, dirty as my side of the room. I quickly get off my bed, finding an excuse to not study, and start cleaning up my room. The first thing I do, is clear my desk off. That way, I don't have to have my books waiting to be written in. Then take everything out of my cupboard and reorganize, fold, and re-stack the clothes that call this cupboard a home. Even a couple of outfits are out of order, I take everything out and clean it all over again. Why not, I have time right?

2. Lay down and promise myself to take a 10 minute power nap. This power nap meant to be 10 minutes usually lasts at least an hour. Before deciding to lay down, I tell myself that this nap is going to be different than my other ones during the week. Hard work throughout the school day should allow one to have a well deserved "brain rest." But I know that this 10 minute nap is not going to be any different, in fact it may last longer than all the other ones. But pushing this thought aside, I lay in my bed, head sinking in the pillow, and close my eyes, only to realize that I opened then one and a half hour later.

3. Eat. Usually while sitting and taking pages of notes and pages of notes in Psychology, I suddenly feel hungry. Taking the opportunity to get away from millions of letters, I get my bowl and take out my box of cereal. Pouring milk into my bowl, I feel like I've achieved something. I sit back down on my table, stare at my open book for a while, and then close it shut. To hell with notes. Let's enjoy the small things in life instead ... like a bowl of cereal! I take in the sweetness of the cereal, take in the freshness of the cold milk, and tell myself that eating cereal is so much better than taking notes on so many levels.

4. Talk to someone else so that they're distracted along with me. Usually when I don't want to work, I look over at my roommate who is usually on Facebook and turn back around to my book disappoint. If I talked to her, she would probably give me a couple word answer and then go back to doing whatever she was doing. After thinking of a couple of seconds. I smile to myself, jump off my bed, put my slippers on, and enter my best friend's room. Sure enough, she has a bored look on her face, and has her English blog open, and is filing her nails (just kidding Mr. Plonka). I know is the perfect opportunity to entertain myself and get rid of that "I'm-so-bored-I-could-kill-myself" look on her face. I sit opposite her and tell her I'm bored. Instantly, her face lights up and we start talking about endless things. Something that usually lasts a couple of hours. And then it's too late to do any work, because bedtime means bedtime. If I didn't sleep well enough that night, I would be cranky in school. Now you tell me, who wants a cranky teenage student in their class. My guess is, no one.

5. Start writing my name all over the pages of my notebooks. When I don't want to do anything, the best way I can think of things is when I write my name all over the books. But instead of thinking about school and about homework, and essays, and math problems, I usually think about how rich and famous I could potentially be. I try out different signatures, write my name in different ways, and try to predict the future while doing this. Will I become a doctor who wins a noble peace prize, will I have a gigantic house while wooden floors and fireplaces in every room, will I have a chain of hospitals that will make me a millionaire? This usually ends with someone asking me why I have such a stupid smile on my face. I say nothing and continue on my way to working through these unnecessary homework assignments, only to return to the same stupid smile on my face the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment