When English Teachers Snap

Saturday 10 December 2011

College Essay # 78 - Hood

78. If you could travel through time and interview any historical figure, whom would you choose, what would you ask, and why? (Hood)

According to my point of view, Adolf Hitler was a man filled with insanity. The things he did, the people he killed, the ideas he plotted, and those he manipulated to follow him were all plans conducted by a crazy man. His ideas were only things he could understand. Many have tried to explain and "justify" his actions to a certain extent but everyone is stuck at the question of morality. Was it right? Clearly not. Was it sane? Clearly not. Was it beneficial? For those who hated Jews, but not to the world.

His ideas seem to amaze me. I was asked this same question in 7th grade. When I answered, Adolf Hitler, she looked at me like I was crazy. What's so crazy about wanting to know about a crazy man? I say nothing.

I have a list of questions I would ask him.
1. What caused really caused you to hate Jews?
2. In your mind, was it essential to kill them for the greater good of mankind?
3. Was there a more humane way of killing the people or was it the only way?
4. What made you kill yourself?
5. Near the end of your life, did you realize that you did something wrong?

I think Hitler was one of those characters that no one would understand until you met them. The Holocaust, Hitler and everything that came before, after, and in the middle, were things that are important to me because these are the things which fascinated me the most about history. But the thing is, I only know what my teacher has taught me and what the text book states. I don't know much else. I want to get a first hand experience with his thoughts. This was just wrong and maybe he had a reason, as crazy as it may sound. It might be legitimate. We only know what the Jews have told. We only know what the textbooks have said. Maybe there IS another side ... probably something far fetched to many of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment