When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 8 December 2011

College Essay # 222

222. Where do you go to hide and why.

My childhood was filled with mischief. My partners in crime were always my sister and my cousins. There was one summer I remember fondly. It was a big family gathering for a festival called dahsanyi, where goats are sacrificed. My sister, my cousin, and I decided that playing hide and seek when everyone else was in the yard was a fun thing to do. We turned off all the lights in the house and I was the one who was supposed to catch the two of them. It never occurred to us that the people in the yard would see that all the lights were out. Being childish, too preoccupied with the game, and naive, we went on our way to play hide and seek.

My cousin and my sister were too scared to hide alone in a big, empty house where all the lights were turned off, so they decided that they would hide in different places just in the same room. While trying to find them, I heard the door of the entrance open and bang shut. I didn't know what was going on and I thought it was a ghost, so I turned the light on of the room I was in. I was afraid and I was really scared of ghosts. But then I heard, the loud, thumping of footsteps on the wooden stairs. I heard my grandfather's cough. I knew it was time to run. But I didn't know where to. I heard him hitting the stair railings with something; I just didn't know what.

I knew instantly to take cover. My grandfather went into the study. I knew this was my chance. I ran down and fast but as softly as I could. I took my chance and went and sat in my grandfather's chair with the rest of the family. My grandfather comes with my sister and my cousin by the ear. I stood there laughing. Furiously, my cousin and my sister approach me and asked me why I didn't warn them. I wanted to save myself first. They told me that they were standing behind curtains on the windowsill of my room when my grandfather came in and hit them with an umbrella. I laughed so hard. My mom asked me whether I was part of it in her jester ways. She knew I was lying. My grandfather knew that but we make fun of it till this day.

I find hiding among a group of people the best thing. This way, you can protect yourself from others and you can't be yelled at in front of everyone, because the person shouting at you will be embarrassed along with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment