When English Teachers Snap

Saturday 24 December 2011

College Essay # 218

218. If you could choose a super power, which would you choose.

During a trek to Changshil View Point, somewhere in the middle of the Himalayas, one of my best friend went and sat on a rock by herself. She was about 200 meters away from the rest of the group. I saw her and didn't think anything of it. I knew her well enough; I knew that all she wanted to do was have a bit of time to herself. Being in a group activity requires everyone to be together almost at all times. These types of trips show us how important "alone time" is. Someone else noticed this as well and asked me whether so-and-so was okay. I looked at her and explained that she was fine. The inquisitive girl looked at me a bit shocked, but didn't say anything and continued on her way. I have noticed many people to do this. When someone is alone, they instantly approach them with sympathetic looks and ask them if everyting is okay. Although considerate, most of the time there is nothing wrong with the person. They just need a bit of space that's all.

These things kept happening to many friends that I knew. They would soon get frustrated and would come and share their stories with them. This question struck me and if given the chance, I would, without any second guessing, choose my superpower to be the power of invisibility. I want the power to be invisible whenever I want. This is because I'm a person, like my best friend in the anecdote above, who needs their own space time to time. Being in a boarding school setting, you're usually accustomed to being around someone at all times. Whether it be during classes, walking up to school, during lunch, during after school sports, and in dorms, it seems like these boarders don't have anytime to be alone. Being a boarder myself, I need some space on my own. I need to alone from time to time. And what better way to do that than being invisible. This way, no one would need to ask you whether you were okay, and you could practically do what you want and go what you want. But in the end, for a little while in your people filled day, you have some time on your hand you call just that, mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment