When English Teachers Snap

Thursday 29 December 2011

College Essay # 201

201. Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others move a number of times throughout their lives, looking for a better job, house, community, or even climate. Which do you prefer: staying in one place or moving in search of another place?

Attending boarding schools means you move home and you move back to school. Just when you get adjusted in one place, you realize that it's time to either go back home or go back to school. Recently, thought I found something I found quite peculiar. I was emailing and old friend, and she told me that at her boarding school you had to change rooms every three weeks. Before this I always thought that moving around was the most hectic thing, but hearing that at her school you changed rooms every three weeks, blew my mind away. She explained that rooms were a bit different every where, and you would see almost a different thing with every room.

Similarly, when I was little, I was living in Bangladesh. Almost every festival at home and holidays that happened at my school, my family and I would take a trip back home, to Nepal. What I realized with every visit was that something or the other changed about the country. Either there was a new mall, there was a movie theater just built, we had new neighbors, my cousin was born, and the list goes on and on.

Taking away from these two experiences, I can say that I would choose moving in search of another place any day over staying in one place. Different places have different things you can learn from them. Whether it be culture, the attitudes of different groups of people, the types of food, the names of malls, the types of offices, the structures of the buildings, and so on, I can guarantee you that there will be something or the other that is different about each place. Moving around can be hectic at times, but is also something that allows you to broaden your view on the world and allows to go on an endless journey of acquiring knowledge.

Visiting and moving to new places allows to see the world in a different perspective every time. You step in the shoes of the locals, you dress the way they do, you eat what they eat, and you live the way they live. Each time you're gaining a new experience which will allow you to appreciate things you normally wouldn't. You would understand why certain people think the way they do and maybe you will learn a live skill from every individual you meet in every new place.

1 comment:

  1. This blog sounds very meaningful. I do get the idea that you would want to learn and experience different things. But don't you want a permanent place you can call home. If you keep shifting from place to place, then you don't really have a home. Plus you can always learn and experience things on smaller trips.

    ReplyDelete