When English Teachers Snap

Sunday 25 December 2011

College Essay # 212

212. A place you try to avoid.

While reading this statement, many places popped up in my head. But these were specific places, and when I tried to think of something to write for each place the only thing that came into my mind was, dangerous. Now, how much can you really right about danger. So, with these possibilities out of my thinking zone, the place I usually try to avoid is the bottom.

Though I come short at times, I try my hardest to be ahead of the game. And if not ahead, then definitely not the bottom. I was looking at a couple of pictures on my laptop when this idea struck me as well. My parents have always taught me that you can always try your best, but there's nothing wrong with coming out with average results. Though this made me feel better sometimes, I always felt something missing. I still haven't pinpointed what that is, but I know that being average comes out better than being on the bottom. There is a picture with a group of friends and myself. Though it is an ordinary picture, something struck me about it. We were six people trying to make a "human pyramid." I told my friends that I wanted to be on top. I was explaining to them that I wasn't heavy enough to be in the bottom and I knew that I could be on the top. But my friends looked at me with an expression of pity and they told me that so-and-so is smaller than you and is clearly lighter than you. Embarrassed and unable to meet their eager gazes, I told them that I didn't want to be on the bottom. They agreed and told me that they didn't think I was heavy enough to be on the bottom anyways. Breathing a sigh of relief, I was put in the middle of the pyramid. Not too strong, not too light, just average.

This experience made me realize that some times trying to force yourself on the top is not always the best way to go. But they say that some may think it's impossible and some may think otherwise. But trying to force yourself up the way I did with the "human pyramid" only made me look worse than I am. I knew I didn't want to be on the bottom but I didn't want to be in the middle either. I never believed my parents telling me that being in the middle, being average wasn't a bad thing until that day.

I try to do everything to push myself above the bottom. Usually I succeed with my determination, but I try to push myself on the top also. This doesn't turn out as well as I thought at all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment