When English Teachers Snap

Wednesday 7 December 2011

College Essay # 239

239. Describe a time someone was jealous of you.

Every holiday, whether summer of winter, a new year or a new semester, I always review and study someone or the other every holiday. I read a lot. I don't get time during school to read so I always take my holidays as an advantage to read. I don't feel complete in a day, if I don't read or do something related to studies. My parents usually give my sister and I the first week off after we come home to do what we like and have fun. They then tell us that we need to start doing something productive. Exercise, study, read, draw, play your instrument, or something, anything.

So usually, I'm the one who starts first. My sister gets really into the holiday mood, skyping with friends, going on the computer, playing tetris, watching movie after movie, and the list goes on. While I sit there, read a book, jog ... or try anyways, practice SAT words, do a couple of math problems, you get the picture.

One day my parent come home and it was the third week of holidays. It was time to get down to some serious "productivity." I was sitting and reading when my parents came in and asked me where my sister was. I just vaguely answer, "Oh, probably watching TV or something." They instantly called her name and she came after 10 minutes. They started giving her a lecture about how she should be more productive, like me. My sister glared at me and didn't peep until they were done. They left the room, she came and sat on my bed and gave me one hit on my harm. I asked her why she did that and she said, "It's not fair. They always compare me to you." Being the person I am, I said, "well maybe you should try being like me." She gave me the dirtiest look I've ever received and told me that I had to watch out. I didn't get why, but it was soon clear.

She look at the my in the morning and started reading the minute she got up. Obviously, I was still asleep. When I got up, she told me that she had already read 50 pages while I was sleeping. She told me that she didn't need to be jealous of me anymore, because she can read better than I can. I don't know how that made sense, but I let her believe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment