When English Teachers Snap

Saturday 17 December 2011

College Essay # 224

224. A book that changed your life.

I just finished reading Room by Emma Donoghue, which is about a little 5 year old boy who is stuck with his mother in Room. Now many of you must be wondering what Room is. For Jack, the five year old boy, Room is a place he was born in and has been living in his whole life. For his Ma, it is a place where she was put into after being kidnapped 7 years ago. A man named Old Nick, captured her while she was on her way to college and put her into a "modern dungeon." Room is a 11 foot by 11 foot confined space which has a stove, a bathtub, and bed, and a wardrobe. Old Nick comes into Room every night at 9 pm and "creaks the bed" while Jack is asleep in Wardrobe. Though he doesn't know what happens out on his Bed, but when he is awake, Jack counts how many times the bed creaks.

For a daily routine, Jack and his Ma do a series of exercises. Ma has drawn a semi-circle around Bed where Jack does "there-and-backs." We know it has running. They then stand on the bed and do a "screaming exercise." We know this as shouting for help trying to tell someone that they are captured and stuck in a "dungeon." Jack always needs to "have some" and goes to his mother for it. We know this as breast-feeding. We might find it odd that a five-year-old is still being breastfed, but what else could his Ma do? She had to give him enough things to keep him alive.

The biggest thing about Jack is that he doesn't know what is outside Room. He thinks that everything on TV is just made up. He doesn't know anything about the world outside. The only world he knows is the 11 foot by 11 foot Room. Yeah, I know, shocking. But his Ma was trying to protect him.

But his Ma has had enough, and all she thinks about is escaping from Room. She executes a plan and asks Jack to follow through. But he doesn't want to get out of room. His Ma eventually convinces him that it's the best thing to do. In a desperate attempt to free themselves, Jack pretends to be dead, and jumps off of the truck which he is placed in. He runs to the first person he sees. They are saved and have become heroes of the modern world. But it takes time for them to adjust to the real world, and Jack's Ma tries to take her life. But things get better after her recovery and they're on their way to becoming strong, independent, individuals of society.

When I first read the first page of this book, it was something that I didn't really enjoy. The way the book was written was a bit different to the books I normally read. But I decided that I should persevere through the book. Who knows I might have enjoyed it. And yes, I did enjoy it through and through. The book just captured my heart. Jack's story just took my breath away. The theme of willpower and truthfulness was so immense that when I finished the book, the only thing I wanted was for it to continue. I wanted to read more and I wanted the author to have written more. I wanted to see the things Jack would explore. When I read the book, I felt like little Jack himself. When we're in our daily routines we forget who immense and mesmerizing the world and the things in the world are. This book made me understand that things shouldn't be taken for granted and that we should cherish everything we have. This book showed me the power of knowledge. Though this sounds cheesy, it showed me that what we know could be life and death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment