When English Teachers Snap

Wednesday 14 December 2011

College Essay # 205

205. Describe how you met your best friend.

Attending a boarding school was nerve-wrecking already and having people come up to you and ask you random questions just makes you wonder whether the place you're attending is worth it or not. During my student orientation in 2007, my supposed roommate approaches me in the dining hall while I'm sitting with my parents and introduces herself. "Hi, my name is so-and-so, and I'm going to be your new roommate." And then she leaves. I look at my father with a confused look and he returns my puzzled face with a knowing smile. It was that minute I felt like Woodstock was not a school worth attending. The school I came from in the States was the complete opposite than that. No one cared about you and you had to mind your own business. You make friends when you put in the effort, not the other way around. That took me by surprise as it was something I was completely unaware of. But even with this fact, I thought I was going to make no friends. I felt different already.

After my parents left, it was time for me to venture out in this unknown world and find someone I could trust. This new roommate of mine, took me around introducing me to everyone. Though a kind gesture, I never asked for her to conduct such an act. A bit irritated, I followed her like a little puppy while she talked about her summer and introduced me to everyone. But meeting 50 different people, I was unable to find someone as weird as a girl who was eventually going to be my best friend.

I woke up extra early the next morning, pumped up to go to school for the first time without my parents. I enter the dining hall with my new roommate/friend/leech to be seated among a few girls who were in our grade. Apparently rumor had it, that I was a cocky girl who had an American accent and was weird. Apparently, I had an accent, apparently that made me American, and apparently that didn't make me Nepali. Though that logic didn't make any sense to me, I took it and didn't care. People glared at me around the table as though I was something that fell from outer space. Most seemed normal, but there was one girl sitting right across from me who caught my attention. She was sitting there with a red sweatshirt and a bright, silky pink backpack. She was spreading peanut butter on her toast and then she started sprinkling sugar on it. I looked around at everyone to see whether they thought that was weird, but everyone seemed to continue on their way to finishing up whatever they had on their plate, or try anyways.

Then she started talking. She explained to me that at Woodstock, breakfast was the best meal of the day because the things that are served are things you know. I gave a puzzled look and she continued in her loud, boisterous, and somewhat obnoxious manner. I just listened. She introduced herself and asked me my name. I answered, "Spreeha." She looked at me and said, "Are you Spanish because your name starts with an S?" I turned around to everyone and they were looking at me eagerly. They probably thought I was going to say yes, but explained to her that I was Nepali who had just moved back home from the States.

If that wasn't weird enough, while walking up the hill, she grabbed onto my backpack and asked me to pull her up. Wait, not even ask, she demanded I pull her up. When I got to school, I tried to steer clear from her. I found her very ... eccentric. That was definitely not my type of person. But we managed to run into each other in the weirdest of occasions, and grew close.

She is know the one person I can call my best friend. I would do anything for her and I know she would reciprocate the same gesture. She knows that I love her idiotic ways because that defines her. Though I'm not big on having best friends; I feel like take advantage of you, she somehow managed to get to my heart and remain there.

1 comment: